Monday, March 17, 2008

Cheap Eats: "King of Thai" Still Reigns

Cheap and quick. The way I like my Thai. King of Thai Noodle House (184 O'Farrell @ Powell...but many other city locations) knows what they are doing. Open every night till 1 AM and located right next to Macy's Union Square, it's a popular location and often crowded on weekdays and weekends. The tables are cramped up next to each other in a room awash in lavender. Why lavender, I have no idea.

I use a Thai restaurant's Pad Thai as a ranking meter and King's version ($7.45) was delicious. Loved the peanut sauce. However, I was knocked over by their great Pad Kee Mao ($7.25), a flavorful mix of a choice of meat, flat noodles, green beans, green peppers, and a lip smacking Thai chili and basil. My BBF Susan had Pad See-Ew ($7.25) - a mix of flat noodles, meat, egg, broccoli and soy sauce. She raved about it. A must when you visit is the Thai Ice Tea - simply one of the best I've tasted. The milk and cream mix was perfect. However, there was a major misstep for the King. The Egg Rolls ($5.45) were fried little pieces of blandness. The only thing they were good for was as something to dip in the fab plum sauce.

Service here is quick. And I mean quick. Not more than 20 seconds at the table, our server brought us water. A few minutes after ordering, the food started to roll out. Don't expect personality with your service. It's quick and efficient. With the bill you get a tasty after dinner mint called (I think..I can't really read the wrapper) "UST." Have no idea what it's made of but, boy, it was tasty. Another major downside is that they don't take credit cards. But the "King" still rules with good, quick and cheap food.

King of Thai Noodle House 184 O'Farrell (and other city locations) (415) 677-9991

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum. I agree that the Pad Thai is awesome. I love this place and they're open late.

Anonymous said...

This place rocks. I hit them up after the sports bar up the street. They servers can be kinda rude.

Anonymous said...

I like the Geary location best. Service here is amazing...like they read your mind.